Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wrong time under Vista in a domain

Recently I faced the following problem: my work computer is in a domain and unfortunately the clock of the server who provides the time for all clients is wrong. After trying to change my local clock I succeeded but only for a couple of minutes because then the old wrong time was used again. After an unsuccessful search on the Internet I found myself a solution for my problem. There exists a service which is called “Windows Time” and its description is:

“Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.”

After stopping this service and setting its start type to manual the problem was resolved.

CAUTION:

I do not know if switching off this service causes other things to not work correctly any more but till now I did not had any problems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't disable the time service. It can cause authentication and security problems. Better approach would be to have the domain controller synchronize with some other time server on the internet like pool.ntp.org. That will keep it accurate and your desktop as well. Just my $0.02.